[A11ybok] A (Hopefully Helpful) Step Back For Perspective & Clarity

Olivier Nourry olv.nourry at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:07:05 EDT 2012

Hi Bill,

as the author of the blog post you quote, I feel it's up to me to clarify a
few things. :-) [smile]
Fortunately for me, Karl and then Sunshine have explained it with great
clarity and talent, so I won't paraphrase them, simply give some additional
context and explanation.
I never wrote, or even implied, that the WCAG aren't reliable. If it
appeared as such, then I apologize. It's important to note the AND
conjunctions in the statement: "we need a reliable [AND] comprehensive AND
easy to consume [...] set of resources". I respect - no, I revere - the
WAI, if only for the fact that they make our lives so much easier. And yes,
they are the most reliable source of information we have. They should
always be the last resort whenever there's indecision. Yet, if they are
indeed comprehensive in some fields, it's not  true for every domain, as
Karl pointed out with the AT support example. And I wouldn't qualify them
as easy to use, although there has been noticeable improvements. But as
Sunshine demonstrated it, information architecture is definitely an issue
not so well addressed.

WAI material is great, but honestly, you can't just take it and start
coding. I see it like a medical thesaurus: you will find all you need to
know about pneumonia and small pox. But you can really use it only if you
already have a solid knowledge of the human body and the pharmacopea. Plus,
what are you supposed to do with a patient showing symptoms of pneumonia
*and* small pox? With a patient showing some symptoms that don't fall into
any category? Not all answers are in a standards body, and that's fine,
it's not made for that.

More focused resources are here to fill the gaps, and there are great ones
all over the Web. But there, reliability is a critical issue. I think one
of the worst things that could happen, would be to have one day the
equivalent of W3schools for accessibility: a bunch of resources plagued
with flaws, yet very popular, because they filled a gap, somehow, and
helped beginners a big deal. Try to google the name of any HTML element:
the W3schools entry is one of the very first results, which is a sure sign
of utter popularity. Let's not let that happen.

Another issue is completeness. The WCAG contain the atomic pieces of
knowledge, but it's not suited to presenting combinations of those atomic
elements - and again, that's not their purpose, so I'm fine with that. Some
of the most common questions I have to answer, as a consultant, are the
like of "is this Jquery widget accessible enough?" "I want to insert a
lightbox, how do I do that in an accessible way"?" "Which media player is
right?". I find myself doing the same kind of research again and again, and
now I have a solid base for my own needs, but I know it can be improved,
and that if it was a concerted effort, we would all save loads of time, and
avoid wastage of our clients money by reinventing the wheel, each one of us
in our corner of the world.

That's my motive behind this initiative, and I hope we'll see things moving
soon, and fast.

Thanks anyway for showing so much interest in this subject, it's already a
first step that needed be taken.

Cordialement,
*Olivier Nourry*
Twitter: @OlivierNourry <http://twitter.com/#!/OlivierNourry>